Dear Reader, I’ve been thinking a lot about who I am as a person. I can list out the qualities of who I am, but lately I have been thinking about things like my lasting impact on the world, and whether I am living my values. So I asked myself the question: What kind of person do you want to be? Not just in 2017, but for the rest of your life. Here’s what I came up with:
- I want to be the type of person who doesn’t disappear: A few months ago, I went on a date with a girl, and then never messaged her again. I should have just been honest with her that I wasn’t into her, but instead, I said nothing. I want to be the type of person who has the courage to not do stuff like that.
- I want to be the type of person who keeps up with my friends: Often, I will go 6 to 8 months without speaking to people I love dearly, and I want to put more effort into my friendships
- I want to be the type of person who goes out into nature: Too often, I find myself inside, wanting to go outside, and not doing so. If not now, then when?
- I want to be the type of person who takes risks: I don’t live a risky life, and while I don’t want to do risky things, I want to do things that are more fun. After all, no risk, no reward, right?
- I want to be the type of person who tells stories: More than anything, I want to spend more time writing. I love writing, and this year and last, I spent less time on it. I want 2017 to be the year I get my work out there in a bigger way.
- I want to be the type of person who gives: I volunteer, I give money, sure, but do I do it consistently? Do I live my values every day?
- And finally, I want to be the time of person who is kind, patient and wise. I lose my temper easily, I get frustrated, and I don’t always think before I do. I want to change that a bit.
In coming up with this list, I think I set up what I want to do yearly and monthly for the coming year. You’ll hear more about my overall goals tomorrow, but for now, what kind of person do you want to be? Let me know in a comment below.